Sessions run January 8th – February 19th 2024
Please consider becoming an Animal Shepherd and helping out our volunteer coaches. You will not be asked to coach just to help keep an eye the kids and make sure the group stays together. No ski experience is necessary but we do ask that you be on skis to save our trails. Start the background check process now to become an Animal Shepherd as it does take a couple of weeks and skiing will be here before you know it!!
As usual all parents are required to stay at Lapham Peak during the PNK session. You are welcome to help out as an Animal Shepherd or ski the trails yourself during this time.
- Please arrive at 6:15 so you can find your group and be ready to ski by 6:30.
- You may assist your child with getting skis on and off on the snow at the trailhead without you being on skis. However please do not walk on the ski trails without skis beyond that area.
- We’ve found it works best if we let the Coaches and Animal Shepherds work with the kids. Parents you can use this time to ski, wait in the shelter or wait in your vehicle.
- Coaches for each group will be kept as consistent as possible through the season.
- No name tags this year. You’ll check in with your coaches.
- Be sure to meet your skier at the end of practice at the trailhead.
Map of where your child is dropped off and picked up
What is an Animal Shepherd and what do I need to do?
- An Animal Shepherd supports the volunteer coaches and helps keep the kids in their proper groups.
- As an Animal Shepherd you’ll need to be on skis but you do NOT have to coach. The coaches will let you know how to best help them.
- You’ll need a background check and complete the online Safe Sport class. Peak Nordic will pay for this. Start here to get this process going.
Policy 12:Weather Cancellation for Peak Nordic Kids
- Peak Nordic Kids sessions are weather dependent.
- The following criteria are applied to the Delafield hourly weather forecast (from www.noaa.gov) at 12:00pm the day of the session: The prediction for 7:00pm must be +5 degrees Fahrenheit or above and the winds less than 20mph to hold the session.
- A session may also be canceled due to rain.
- When a session is canceled, families are notified via a Team Snap email. The cancellation is also noted under “Ski Trail Conditions” on the Friends of Lapham Peak website at: https://www.laphampeakfriends.org/ViewSkireportsExpanded.php.
- No refunds are given for canceled sessions.
- Makeup sessions are possible, but not guaranteed.
Here is the link for the entire list of Peak Nordic Policies and Procedures